Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reflections

Well today I started on a new journey. As I am relaxing on the ride to my new life, I decided to reflect on the events that have gotten me to this moment.

Earlier this year, I was racing at the Birmingham Race Track. In January, I won 2 races. After I won my 2 races, I decided, been there done that. Now what? So off to the adoption kennel at the Birmingham Track I went.

In May, I was a lucky pup to be chosen to enter into Second Chance Greyhound's awesome partnership program with correctional facilities. While at the adoption kennel waiting to leave for my fostering and training, I met a nice lady who fell in love with me, and I with her. She was just visiting and couldn't stay. But she told me that she would be waiting for me when my training was done and that I would spend the rest of my life with her and her family. I left for my fostering and training at a correction facility the end of May.

I was paired up with a wonderful, loving inmate who would be my trainer. We bonded and had lots of fun. I met lots of other people and dogs. I played and had a great time, all the while learning how to be a polite, well trained and acclimated family pet.

It was hard work learning all the new things I needed to learn, but my trainer made it so much fun. She really took great care of me. I will miss her. I want her to know that I will always be grateful to her for all the love, time, fun and training she gave me. I hope our time together will leave her with happy memories too. She gave me the best gift ever--a chance to be a much loved, well trained pet with a forever family. I wish my trainer the very best. I hope the next leg of her journey will be as good for her as I know mine will be for me.

So now, I am on my way to Atlanta where my Aunt is going to pick me up tonight and take me to her house for 10 days to spend time with her and my cousins while my new family is on vacation.

Then in mid August, I will be heading on the last leg of my journey to be reunited with my new mom, dad and family. I will have 2 dog sisters, and several cat brothers and sisters, plus 3 human brothers and of course my mom and dad.

I understand my family has taken these last few months while I was in fostering and training to prepare for my arrival. They have beds, toys, yummy food and treats waiting for me.

I think I am going to really enjoy my new life. Photos of my arrival will be forthcoming.

No comments: